On Purpose work with talented and inspiring professionals who are committed to harnessing the power of business for good. We provide our Associates with the experience, skills, knowledge and networks needed to develop as leaders in the social enterprise space.
To apply for our October 2014 programme, please make sure you’ve read the tips and tricks below and then click the button to be taken to the application form. Make sure you’ve completed and submitted the full application by no later than midnight on Monday 21st April.
Application form overview:
The application form has 5 sections. So that you know what’s coming up and can have all the necessary information to hand, here’s an overview:
1 Contact details and confirmation of permission to work in the UK
2 Cover letter (copy and paste text into form)
3 CV document file (to attach up to 2MB)
4 Introductory video of yourself (there are instructions for how record this in the application form)
5 Other details that won’t be evaluated, but will help us with recruitment in future
Navigating the application form
Use the ‘Next‘ and the ‘Back‘ buttons at the bottom of each page to navigate. You won’t lose any information that you’ve already entered so it’s not a problem if you want to go back and change a previous answer. But don’t use your browser’s forward and back buttons. Your entries are saved for 30 days after pressing the ‘Next‘ button as long as you use the same computer, and you don’t delete your cookies between sessions. Just follow the link from this page again.
Some other pointers
Your Cover Letter
Even though you will be copy-pasting your cover letter into a reply box that doesn’t allow very much editing, try to make it as easily legible as possible, for example, by adding additional lines where helpful.
Your CV should contain all your professional experience and your education (university and school leaving, including grades). If you have a lot of professional experience, then we understand that your CV could be more than 2 pages long, but that should not be the norm. As we are also interested to know about your extra-curricular activities, volunteering and leadership positions, we often find that 1-page CVs are somewhat too short.
Add facts to your CV. For example rather than saying: “Managed team that surveyed all our clients”, say: “Managed a team of two that surveyed all our clients (over 500).”
Please send us a 1 min video simply of you talking; we don’t want any animations, graphics, titles or anything else.
It should cover all of the following:
- Who you are (i.e. say your name)
- What your professional background is
- Why you want to explore a career in social enterprise
- What attracts you to On Purpose
You can record it via a webcam (see YouTube or Facebook how-to pages for guidance) or on a mobile phone (or any other digital video recorder, of course). Do make sure that the sound is good enough to make it easy to hear what you are saying (choose a quiet room to do it in).
As well as this being a part of our assessment, we will, if you become an Associate share this video with the placement hosts, so that they can get a feel for who the Associates are. For an example of a video, please click here. Remember, this shouldn’t take too long to prepare (although you may find it easier to write down what you’re going to say beforehand); we are firmly interested in substance over style so just make sure we can see and hear you reasonably well.
Once you have recorded your video, please upload it to YouTube. The following instructions will step you through how to do this.
- Log in to YouTube (or create a new YouTube account; if you have a Gmail account you can use that to log in)
- Click ‘Upload’ on the top right of the page, just to the left of your email address-Enter a new for your ‘Channel’ and the other data asked for – then click next
- Set the privacy settings as you like and click finish
- Now click again on ‘Upload’ at the top right of the page
- Select whether to upload a file from your computer of record from your webcam
- Once you have uploaded your video, you need to edit a couple of things:
- Rename the video according to this convention: ‘Video_Firstname_Surname’. Set the Privacy settings to ‘Unlisted (only people with link can view)’; make sure you copy the link it provides to you!
- Then, lastly, copy-past that URL into the question box
If you’ve got any questions..
You can take a look at the FAQ’s, or get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org